Isn't it wonderful catching up with your friends, both new and old? I just had a few encounters with old friends. The first being Derek, when I sent him an email to wish him Happy Birthday back in February, and I never heard from him, and I thought he had changed his email address! Then I emailed Sheri, wished her Happy Birthday. In turn I got a long email from her, but it was very entertaining! And I just had Amanda IM me the other day, and it was so wonderful to hear from her and to know how she's doing!
I know emails are the best way to go to learn more about what your old friends are doing, especially if you're hundreds or thousands of miles away from them. Or if your friends have a blog, that's another good place to catch up with them, especially if they're not "e-mail" people, like me!
I finally chased down Derek, on AIM, after not hearing back from him, and we talked up a storm! (A good hour or so!) And I gave him my blog site. He read up on it, and during our conversation, he brought up the line where I mentioned that I was the last in everything in my high school core class. He told me to make a correction, I was NOT the last in EVERYTHING. He agreed that I may be the last when it comes to matters of the heart, but not in life itself. He pointed out a fact that I never realized before, and I made a promise to Derek that I would mention it here in my blog to correct my previous blog.
Like I just said, I may be the last in everything pertaining to matters of the heart, however, I am the first in my core class to be successful (Derek's words, not mine). I am the first in my class to get a job, and to settle down in a career. Aimee graduated a year before I did from RIT, but she pursued a Masters, so she continued school. Derek graduated a year after, and also continued to a Master's, Azad graduated after I did as well, and he's jumping around in his career (from what I hear), and Shawn, I'm not sure if he ever graduated tho, that guy I got to chase down and catch up with! Janis graduated and moved to Arizona, and career-wise, she's not where she wants to be (or in the field that she graduated from), Sheri, she's working, but she did travel before she was able to find a job, so taking Derek's point to heart. I am the first to be successful. It's something to be proud of, and I am proud of that little fact. I just hope everything else just falls in place sometime soon!
My Bachelors is in Professional and Technical Communications (which in general is like any Communication Arts major at any other college), however after doing a curriculum check at the other colleges, I realized that RIT was a little more intensive in their PTC courses. My first year in this major, I was required to "touch base" on all of the aspects of PTC (Public Relations, Persuasion, Visual Communications, Technical Writing, Professional Writing, just to name a few). And then as the years progressed, I took more intensive courses on each and more. By the time I graduated, I had experience in each aspect of PTC, including EFFECTIVE SPEAKING. I usually don't do well in front of large audiences, what tends to happen is that I sign too fast to the point where people DON'T understand me! *smiles*
However emphasizing on the Technical part of my major, I was able to apply that experience to the current job I have, which is customer service pertaining with technical devices (videophones, webcams, routers, modems etc.) I've learned so much in the last year, but with the rapid advancing of technology, it is impossible to say that "I know all there is to know about technology." But, in today's age of technology, it doesn't hurt to have some confidence, and with experience comes confidence. To this date, I have been able to help countless customers, and I've gotten a lot of gratitude from these customers, which is self-rewarding. And with each of the customers that I've helped, comes an increase in confidence.
Confidence is key. This is something you cannot fake. If you know your stuff, it will shine through and people will sit up and take notice. It's not called egoism, it's called knowledge. It only becomes egoism if you start bragging about what you know. If you remain humble and continue to learn, people can't help but notice!
"One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation." ~ Arthur Ashe
I think I'm in a positive mood tonight. I may be shy when it comes to large groups of people, but with a select few, where I'm able to bare my soul to, I'm myself and I'm able to let my confidence shine through. With large groups of people, I'm always worried if I'd fall on my face, which I'm very well known for (especially around stairs!) - and for those who have known me for YEARS, yes I still have a problem with stairs!
Good night, but before I go, I wanted to close with this quote:
"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you.
Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I may not forget you."
~ Sir William Arthur

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home