Sunday, November 20, 2005

I think I'm gonna be sentimental here today. It's November 2005, and before we all know it, 2006 will be upon us. A new year brings fresh breath to our lives, looking to the horizon for new opportunities, possibilities, and new projects. I'm currently involved with a big project, chairing the softball tournament to take place here in Sioux Falls in July of 2006. This project that I have undertaken, I already look forward to the rewards that it will bring.

Undertaking this project has made me realize how much I miss being an active part in Alpha Sigma Theta (my sorority from college). When I was in Alpha Sigma Theta, I had given my all, in every way imaginable. When I graduated from college, I thought I'd never do it again, believing that I had burned out, and I thought that for the rest of my life I would take a seat back from any action in any project. But within a few years I found myself itching to get involved again. And this opportunity just fell into my lap last summer. But there's one thing I find strange, when I was in Alpha Sigma Theta, I never feared failure, I knew that everything would work themselves out, with whatever I was involved with, and I think I may be a little out of practice, but with this softball tournament, I am already fearing failure. I keep telling myself that it's okay to have some fear, it gives one motivation to overcome it and succeed. That's my mantra for this project that I've undertaken.

College was a great phase in my life, I used to say that it was the best 6 years of my life, that part's still true, but I'm only 27 years old, and I still have my entire life ahead of me, so I can't really say that anymore. But what it was, was a defining phase in my life, after spending my childhood and teenage years never really feeling like I belonged, feeling like an outsider, college was where I learned about who I was. Rochester became home, rather than Canada. I was born and bred a Canadian, don't get me wrong, but it's no longer home for me. For a while, I thought Rochester was home, it was, after all for 6 years.

These last 3 years in Sioux Falls has really shown me what HOME is. It's not just where the heart is. It's also where the soul is. If I ever left Sioux Falls, it would be like I left a part of my heart and my soul here. For the first time in my life, Sioux Falls was a place where I was alone, left to fend for myself, and to learn how to survive. I survived, sure enough, and I came to love Sioux Falls.

I'm hoping that 2006 will bring a lot of closure for me, I have some personal issues that I'm working through, and hopefully those will come to a close between mid- and the end of the new year. I have a feeling it's going to be a great year, in every way possible. Even not 2006, then 2007 will be coming around right after that. I don't want to think that far yet, I just want to take everything one day at a time and to appreciate the things I have in my daily life.

To smile once a day is good, twice a day is wonderful, to smile more is cleansing;
To laugh once a day is good, twice a day is healthy, to laugh more is lifting;
To live once a day is good, twice a day is enlightening, to live more is near perfection.
~me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home